sparky955 (sparky955) wrote in mfu_canteen,
sparky955
sparky955
mfu_canteen

The water heater sprang a leak at 3pm

Lost the entire kitchen floor. Lost the entire pantry floor. Lost about a third of the living room floor. Lost about 3/4 of the hallway. Water heater, of course, is a carcass. My walls I discovered were solid wood which in terms of water damage is better than drywall. Called my insurance company. ServicePro sent 2 angels in khaki who just spent about 3 hours tearing my floor down to the asbestos, tearing up the baseboards. The asbestos flooring is intact so as long as it dries, they said I could just have new flooring slapped over it. If it doesn’t dry, it’ll have to be removed by an asbestos company. I now have 9 industrial fans, each about 4x4 feet square and a dehumidifier the size of a washing machine spaced about in the pantry, kitchen, hallway & living room. Estimated drying time 3-5 days. Obviously, no hot water. The cats will either stay in the bedroom with me...goodbye sleep...or in the home office when I go back to work. After neither of the 2 plumbing companies sent anyone out, I called Kathy and Russ. Russ shut off the water to the water heater. Kathy stayed about 4 hours to talk me off the ledge. It could have been so much worse, and I am truly grateful...but I am just numb.
Tags: grateful. numb and my head hurts, messy
Subscribe

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 27 comments