2. “Although he was nervous, his voice was firm, and he was very good. I sat and looked at him for a long time. He was very skinny, with a marvellous head and huge eyes.” Director Clive Donner, on auditioning DMcC for a role in The Secret Place.
3. “You know, he’s a very attractive looking man, and with his looks, he could have gone for being effective and charming and all that. But he hasn’t. He’s gone for playing *** as angry and intense, and determined to get on with it. That’s interesting, and really very good.” Joanna Lumley, on DMcC’s portrayal of the titular hero in Sapphire & Steel.
4. “When I first saw 16-year-old David McCallum at RADA, I thought he must be related to one of my favourite actors, Richard Widmark. They had the same blond floppy hair, pale complexion and light eyes. We dated briefly, nothing too heavy...” Joan Collins, classmate (and a little more...) at RADA.
5. "I was playing in 'Journey's End' and for the final shell explosion David had made a special mixture of his own to give the effect of flying mud and debris. This was supposed to shower all over us when a rope was pulled backstage. Unfortunately...the audience caught it too. Since one of his ingredients was black scene paint the theatre had to face quite a big bill for free dry-cleaning." Actor Wilfred Brambell, on DMcC’s inventiveness as a stage manager in Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
6. “I used to think of Iain as The Tortoise and David as The Hare.” His mum!
7. “Little do people know that he’s such a sexual creature.” Cote de Pablo, context unknown!
8. “I could never work out if they were having an affair or not because they used to have breakfast together. I used to try to get information but I never found out.” Shaun O’Riordan, director of Sapphire & Steel, about DMcC and Joanna Lumley.
9. “This is again where David is so important, because he's a very clear thinker. He's done all of this before. All the highs, all the lows, all of it.” Mark Harmon, about NCIS.
10. “When David first started in *** he was very reticent. Even afraid. Since then, I have never seen such a change come over anybody.” Robert Vaughn, about The Man from U.N.C.L.E..
11. “David really gets into the characters...He had so many things... that when the show was wrapped they could hardly have enough boxes to get him out.” Robert Wagner, about Colditz.
12. “It's a joy to rehearse with this guy - before the director is in there, oftentimes. Well, always.” Brian Dietzen, about NCIS.
13. “Of all the actors I have worked with, McCallum is the one who remained a friend. My first wife loved him dearly and, even now, every time he comes to England he comes and stays.” Shaun O’Riordan again.
14. “McCallum always insisted that if you had to portray a sudden idea coming to your mind, or a realization something vital was about to happen, you must always glance up - just for a split second: up.” Joanna Lumley again.
15. "I'm not surprised that he's become a teenage idol. I'm only surprised that it happened in America. He seemed too shy and retiring ever to make it in brash Hollywood." Leslie Norman, director of The Long, The Short and The Tall.
And the winner is:
duckys_lady, who scored an amazing 146 out of 150 points!!! Honourable mentions go to hypatia_66, sparky955 and spikesgirl58.
Leave it with me and I’ll get it engraved.