Originally an English pudding, this dish is sometimes called baked lemon pudding. There are now many variations. Interestingly, the Australian version has had its name shortened, probably as a time-honored mark of affection.
3 eggs, separated
½ cup of caster (granulated) sugar
30 grams (2 Tbls) butter, melted
1 cup milk
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/3 cup lemon juice
½ cup self-raising flour (1/2 cup AP flour, ¾ tsp baking powder, pinch of salt)
½ cup of caster (granulated) sugar, extra
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy; transfer to large bowl. Stir in melted butter, milk, lemon rind, lemon juice and sifted flour.
2. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form, add extra sugar gradually, beating until dissolved after each addition. Fold half of the egg whites into lemon mixture followed by the last half.
3. Pour mixture into lightly greased ovenproof dish (6 cup capacity), or 6 individual dishes (1 cup capacity). Place baking dish or baking dishes into a pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish(es).
4. Baked in moderate (350° F) oven about 50 minutes (about 30 minutes for the individual dishes) or until pudding is set.
Yield: 6 servings
• Recipe best made just before serving.
• Not suitable for freezing.
• Not suitable for microwaving.
Thank you duche55 for a great dessert recipe.